Careers / Positions Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy and Commercial
Our goal is to listen, engage, and activate voices across Red Ventures to ensure that all identity groups and perspectives are represented in our work. Our aspiration is to have diverse teams at every level of the company, and we seek candidates who bring unique personal experiences, curiosity and an eagerness to embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
At a Glance
First and foremost, you must be a legal expert in US and EU data privacy and security laws. You will provide horizonal support across the Red Ventures Health Vertical for data privacy and security legal counsel on new product initiatives, ongoing compliance for established products, adtech initiatives, and data governance generally. Additionally, you must also be a strong tech transactions attorney because you will be responsible for leading negotiations for all vendor contracts for the Red Ventures Health Vertical, including IT Services Agreements, SAAS, and hardware contracts. In this role you will support the business team directly as well as being called upon by your legal colleagues on the Red Ventures Health Vertical to provide your data privacy and security expertise.
What You’ll Do
- Provide horizonal support across the Red Ventures Health Vertical for matters related to data security and privacy, including the areas listed below.
- Advise on US and International privacy and security laws, regulations, and enforcement activities, and apply your knowledge of these laws to provide actionable advice to senior management and product leadership.
- Routinely meet with your business clients and legal colleagues to identify potential data security and privacy legal risks and propose and implement solutions to address those risks.
- Remain up-to-date on relevant consumer protection, privacy, and data security laws and regulations, as well as technology developments, emerging threats, and industry standards.
- Counsel on legal requirements and best practices for engaging with adtech vendors and conducting marketing and analytics, including via third-party platforms like Facebook and commercial text messaging platforms (TCPA).
- Counsel on adtech issues in the health and wellness context, including application of HIPAA and California’s Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA).
- Counsel on global compliance for data privacy and security, including the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the privacy regimes in jurisdictions such as Australia, Canada and South America.
- Counsel on data use practices, including principles of compliance published by industry associations (e.g., IAB) and litigation rulings and FTC and other US and International regulatory guidance.
- Counsel on data use practices, including data analytics privacy compliance, use of AI and machine learning, application privacy compliance, and other related areas.
- Counsel on legal cybersecurity requirements and best practices, including data breach response and reporting practices.
- Draft and negotiate adtech vendor contracts, and address associated issues regarding privacy and data security compliance and risk mitigation.
- Provide data security and privacy-related counseling on contracts, including contracts involving data licensing components and negotiations with advertising platforms.
- Lead negotiations for Technology Contracts and establish a process for seamless handling of vendor contracts for the Red Ventures Healthcare Vertical. Responsibilities include drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide range of commercial contracts, including Master Services Agreements, advertising technology contracts, data agreements, software and technology licenses, hardware agreements, and vendor services generally. Establish processes for contract flow.
- Work with the business teams to create templates and guidelines to allow teams to independently address common commercial needs.
What We Are Looking For
- The Red Ventures Health Vertical is building out a legal team comprised of lawyers who excel at collaboration, possess an exceptional ability to distill complex areas of the law into advice that is digestible and actionable by our business clients, and who are solution oriented and focused on facilitating business objectives. You must be egoless, value collaboration, and be ready to put in the hard work to accomplish whatever the job demands.
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited U.S. law school and member of the bar of a U.S. jurisdiction
- 6+ years of solid, consistent experience (at least 3 of those years must be in-house) advising clients on U.S. and international privacy and data protection laws and regulations (e.g., HIPAA, GDPR, CCPA, TCPA). Must have data privacy and security experience with US and UK/EU law (other jurisdictions are a plus, but not required). The ideal candidate also has extensive experience with the legal data security and privacy issues associated with adtech. If you do not have this experience, you must be committed to prioritizing building out this subject matter expertise.
- Experience in health publishing or digital health businesses is a highly-desired plus.
- Recognized privacy, security, or data protection industry certifications are a plus.
- Experience drafting and negotiating a broad variety of commercial agreements, including:
- Advertising and marketing agreements (including agreements with advertising technology providers and exchanges)
- Content, data, and distribution arrangements across all media platforms and devices
- Software/technology licensing and development agreements
- IT Agreements
- Sourcing, procurement, and vendor contracts
- Ability to operate in a dynamic environment and navigate amid uncertainty with a can-do, problem-solving attitude is a must! We are not the legal team of “no” or ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - instead we are equal parts risk identifiers and problem solvers. And if you can liven up your legal advice with some humor, that is a plus (and always encouraged).
- Ability to identify common commercial needs among our business clients that are appropriate for self-service tools that you create to help the business move fast while also seamlessly operationalizing legal advice.
Who We Are
- Founded in 2000, Red Ventures is a portfolio of growing digital businesses that bring consumers and brands together through integrated e-commerce, strategic partnerships and many proprietary brands including Bankrate, AllConnect.com and Reviews.com. Headquartered south of Charlotte, NC, Red Ventures has over 3000 employees in offices across the US, as well as London and Sao Paulo. For more information, visit redventures.com.
- We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, 401(k) plan and a paid parental leave program.
- Red Ventures is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law. Employment at Red Ventures is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications.
- We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Red Ventures is a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships. We’re made up of dozens of teams spanning multiple industries and geographies - all working together to help people make life’s most important decisions. Whether you’re looking for freedom to build new brands and businesses from the ground up, an opportunity to partner with brands who are already globally recognized, or a combination of both - this is a place where you can unlock substantial experience and even make entire career shifts, all within one organization.Learn More about Red Ventures
Covid 19 Vaccine Requirement: Unless otherwise prohibited by law, if a candidate is successful and a conditional job offer is made, the candidate then will be required to submit proof of a full vaccination series against COVID-19. Requests for reasonable accommodations on the basis of disability, pregnancy status, or religious belief will be considered on an individualized basis.