Careers / Positions Writer, Advice - CNET
Our goal is to listen, engage, and activate voices across Red Ventures to ensure that all identity groups and perspectives are represented in our work. Our aspiration is to have diverse teams at every level of the company, and we seek candidates who bring unique personal experiences, curiosity and an eagerness to embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
At a Glance
CNET is looking for an advice writer to join our team. You will be responsible for writing authoritative, engaging news, hands-on reviews, product best lists and other content in this exciting, quickly evolving product category.
You’ll be joining the CNET advice team, a team with deep domain expertise, with industry-leading resources at your disposal to help our readers make sense of products and services, and how they fit into their lives. You will also work with our video team and appear on camera to cover select stories.
We are looking for a hard-working, meticulous individual who can manage deadlines, prioritize short- and long-term projects, while delivering accurate, informative, and otherwise clean copy. Ideal candidates should have familiarity with the basic principles of journalism and enthusiasm for products, services, and platforms.
What You'll Do
- Write and publish daily stories under deadline, as well as long-term features
- Work with the senior editor to craft story ideas, provide updates, and set deadlines
- Work with companies to get access to new products/services to test and review
- Write and edit great headlines and descriptions, and select compelling images to represent stories
- Scan press releases and social media to discover news related to your coverage area
- Develop industry-leading sources with executives and leaders in the industry
- Write on assignment, including reviews, product lists, features, how-to, explainers, and other stories
- Use analytics and other tools to track and optimize story performance
- Use social media to help build audience and develop community
- Represent CNET at conferences, product launches, and industry events
What We're Looking For
- Digital journalism experience
- Experience writing for a general audience of consumers
- Experience covering technology, consumer products, consumers services, innovation or related topics
- Must be able to work in fast-paced environment and manage daily deadlines
- Must be adaptable; since the media and tech industries are two of the fastest changing industries on the planet, priorities change rapidly and regularly
- Must be trustworthy, committed, considerate, and a good listener; high emotional IQ
Who We Are
CNET Media Group is a pioneer in digital media. CNET, a leading global technology news brand, has grown over 25 years to cover all aspects of technology in our lives, including automotive coverage at Roadshow and Spanish-language technology coverage at CNET en Español. CNET paved the way for CNET Media Group, an expansive portfolio of digital media brands that advise consumers across leading consumer tech, business tech, gaming, and entertainment media brands including ZDNet, a leader in B2B focused content and Gamespot, a renowned games information brand in the US, according to ComScore. The portfolio also includes revered entertainment and lifestyle brands like TVGuide, Metacritic, and Chowhound.
Over the last twenty years, Red Ventures has built a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships that work together to connect millions of people with expert advice. Through premium content and personalized digital experiences, Red Ventures builds online journeys that make it easier for people to make important decisions about their homes, health, travel, finances, education and entertainment. Founded in 2000, Red Ventures has 3,000 employees in 10 cities across the US, as well as in the UK and Brazil. Red Ventures owns and operates several large digital brands including Healthline, The Points Guy, Bankrate, MYMOVE, and Allconnect.com. For more information, visit https://redventures.com and follow @RedVentures on social platforms.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, 401(k) plan and a paid parental leave program.
Red Ventures is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law. Employment at Red Ventures is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.
Join an iconic portfolio of world-class brands that reach close to 100 million unique visitors monthly, advising passionate consumers about everything they love. Properties under the CNET umbrella include GameSpot, ZDNet, Metacritic, TechRepublic, and more. We’re looking for top-tier journalists and other top talent to join our mission of helping people make life’s most important decisions.Learn More about CNET
Covid 19 Vaccine Requirement: Unless otherwise prohibited by law, if a candidate is successful and a conditional job offer is made, the candidate then will be required to submit proof of a full vaccination series against COVID-19. Requests for reasonable accommodations on the basis of disability, pregnancy status, or religious belief will be considered on an individualized basis.