Careers / Positions Guidebook Publisher - Lonely Planet
Our goal is to listen, engage, and activate voices across Red Ventures to ensure that all identity groups and perspectives are represented in our work. Our aspiration is to have diverse teams at every level of the company, and we seek candidates who bring unique personal experiences, curiosity and an eagerness to embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
At a Glance
Lonely Planet is looking for a Guidebook Publisher to reimagine the future of print travel guides. Lonely Planet is the world’s leading travel publisher.
As Guidebook Publisher, you will be responsible for maximising guidebook profitability and ensuring that our guidebooks evolve to remain as relevant and indispensable tools for travellers in the 2020s. This includes guidebooks and phrasebooks in print and ebook format. The two key pillars of this role are product innovation and production efficiency. You’ll review what series we publish for what needs; what content each series delivers; and in what format (words, maps, photos, infographics, etc). You’ll continually review our list for profitability, and ensure that the books are produced as efficiently, accurately and consistently as possible.
As Lonely Planet’s online offering develops, you will work closely with digital content teams to ensure we are making the most of our content investment and giving the traveller the tools and advice they need, in the medium that suits them best.
We are looking for a creative publisher who’s not afraid to shake up the travel category, who understands the changing needs of travellers globally, has a keen eye for information design and is a strategic thinker and team-leader. Passion for travel is a must.
What You’ll Do
- Proactively manage development and production of Lonely Planet’s guidebook and ebook list for sale globally
- Reimagine Lonely Planet’s guidebook portfolio, reviewing its content and design, to grow market share
- Lead the operations of commissioning and production teams, ensuring that work is completed to schedule, budget and quality standards
- Plan and execute product development cycles to create marketable relaunches which increase sales
- Work with Lonely Planet’s SVP Content to ensure all our content maintains the highest standards of trust, and that we accurately represent the world we write about
- Work with Digital colleagues to understand our customers’ travel planning needs across media, and facilitate their travel planning
What We’re Looking For
- Publisher or senior editorial professional with at least 5 years’ experience
- Proven commercial success in a publishing or content business
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically in a global environment with exposure to book publishing processes and markets
- Proven experience in a leadership role with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to lead a cross-functional and geographically dispersed team with shared purpose
- An understanding of information design in print, gained from working in magazine, newspaper or illustrated non-fiction publishing
- Ability to analyse and interpret market trends and other external perspectives to identify content and product opportunitiesA commitment to quality and continuous improvement – including a willingness to question current practice, to be hands-on with strong attention to detail
Who We Are
Founded in 2000, Red Ventures is a portfolio of growing digital businesses that bring consumers and brands together through integrated e-commerce, strategic partnerships and many proprietary brands including Bankrate, AllConnect.com and Reviews.com. Headquartered south of Charlotte, NC, Red Ventures has over 3000 employees in offices across the US, as well as London and Sao Paulo. For more information, visit www.redventures.com.
Red Ventures is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law. Employment at Red Ventures is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.
Red Ventures is a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships. We’re made up of dozens of teams spanning multiple industries and geographies - all working together to help people make life’s most important decisions. Whether you’re looking for freedom to build new brands and businesses from the ground up, an opportunity to partner with brands who are already globally recognized, or a combination of both - this is a place where you can unlock substantial experience and even make entire career shifts, all within one organization.Learn More about Red Ventures