Careers / Positions Tech Writer - ZDNet
Our goal is to listen, engage, and activate voices across Red Ventures to ensure that all identity groups and perspectives are represented in our work. Our aspiration is to have diverse teams at every level of the company, and we seek candidates who bring unique personal experiences, curiosity and an eagerness to embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
At a Glance
ZDNet is looking for an advice writer to join our team. You will be responsible for writing authoritative, engaging news, hands-on reviews, product best lists and other content in this exciting, quickly evolving product category.
You’ll be joining the ZDNet advice team, a team with deep domain expertise, with industry-leading resources at your disposal to help our readers make sense of products and services, and how they fit into their lives. You will also work with our video team and appear on camera to cover select stories.
We are looking for a hard-working, meticulous individual who can manage deadlines, prioritize short- and long-term projects, while delivering accurate, informative, and otherwise clean copy. Ideal candidates should have familiarity with the basic principles of journalism and enthusiasm for products, services, and platforms.
What You'll Do
- Write and publish daily stories under deadline, as well as long-term features
- Work with the senior editor to craft story ideas, provide updates, and set deadlines
- Work with companies to get access to new products/services to test and review
- Write and edit great headlines and descriptions, and select compelling images to represent stories
- Scan press releases and social media to discover news related to your coverage area
- Develop industry-leading sources with executives and leaders in the industry
- Write on assignment, including reviews, product lists, features, how-to, explainers, and other stories
- Use analytics and other tools to track and optimize story performance
- Use social media to help build audience and develop community
- Represent ZDNet at conferences, product launches, and industry events
What We're Looking For
- Digital journalism experience
- Experience writing for a general audience of consumers
- Experience covering technology, consumer products, consumers services, innovation or related topics
- Must be able to work in fast-paced environment and manage daily deadlines
- Must be adaptable; since the media and tech industries are two of the fastest changing industries on the planet, priorities change rapidly and regularly
- Must be trustworthy, committed, considerate, and a good listener; high emotional IQ
Who We Are
ZDNet is a business technology news website owned and operated by Red Ventures, along with TechRepublic. The brand was founded on April 1, 1991, as a general interest technology portal from Ziff Davis and evolved into an enterprise IT-focused online publication.
Over the last twenty years, Red Ventures has built a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships that work together to connect millions of people with expert advice. Through premium content and personalized digital experiences, Red Ventures builds online journeys that make it easier for people to make important decisions about their homes, health, travel, finances, education and entertainment. Founded in 2000, Red Ventures has 3,000 employees in 10 cities across the US, as well as in the UK and Brazil. Red Ventures owns and operates several large digital brands including Healthline, The Points Guy, Bankrate, MYMOVE, and Allconnect.com. For more information, visit https://redventures.com and follow @RedVentures on social platforms.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, 401(k) plan and a paid parental leave program.
Red Ventures is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law. Employment at Red Ventures is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.
Red Ventures is a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships. We’re made up of dozens of teams spanning multiple industries and geographies - all working together to help people make life’s most important decisions. Whether you’re looking for freedom to build new brands and businesses from the ground up, an opportunity to partner with brands who are already globally recognized, or a combination of both - this is a place where you can unlock substantial experience and even make entire career shifts, all within one organization.Learn More about Red Ventures