Careers / Positions Staff Writer, Streaming Services - CNET
Our goal is to listen, engage, and activate voices across Red Ventures to ensure that all identity groups and perspectives are represented in our work. Our aspiration is to have diverse teams at every level of the company, and we seek candidates who bring unique personal experiences, curiosity and an eagerness to embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
At a Glance
CNET is seeking a full-time Staff Writer who will write, edit and publish content on streaming TV services and home entertainment. The role demands a person with attention to detail, a passion for storytelling, and a sincere curiosity about new products in streaming services.
What You'll Do
- Write, publish and update daily stories under deadline
- Engage in testing and hands-on analysis to offer valuable buying advice
- Appear in CNET videos as a host and product expert
- Write great headlines and descriptions, and select compelling images to represent stories
- Develop industry sources in streaming services and home entertainment
- Follow industry news closely and write breaking news and analysis ASAP
- Write on assignment, including reviews, deals, product lists, features, how-to, and other stories
- Leverage analytics and trends to track and optimize story performance post-publication
- Use social media to help build audience and develop community
- Represent CNET at conferences, product launches, and industry events
- Develop feature stories that provide deeper value to readers, demonstrate the brand's authority and help consumers make decisions about the products they buy and how they use them
- Provide original reporting and journalistic excellence worthy of winning awards
What We're Looking For
- At least 2 years of digital journalism experience
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or English
- Experience covering streaming services and home entertainment
- Experience evaluating and analyzing consumer products
- On-camera experience hosting videos
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and meet daily deadlines
- Must be adaptable; since streaming is one of the fastest changing industries on the planet, priorities change rapidly and regularly
- Must be trustworthy, committed, considerate, and a good listener; high emotional IQ
- Deep understanding of multiplatform journalism techniques (writing web stories, long form, hosting video, recording podcasts, producing multimedia content for social media, etc.)
- Strong reputation and influence on social media
- Experience as a guest on media and podcasts talking about technology
Who We Are
CNET Media Group is a pioneer in digital media. CNET, a leading global technology news brand, has grown over 25 years to cover all aspects of technology in our lives, including automotive coverage at Roadshow and Spanish-language technology coverage at CNET en Español. CNET paved the way for CNET Media Group, an expansive portfolio of digital media brands that advise consumers across leading consumer tech, business tech, gaming, and entertainment media brands including ZDNet, a leader in B2B focused content and Gamespot, a renowned games information brand in the US, according to ComScore. The portfolio also includes revered entertainment and lifestyle brands like TVGuide, Metacritic, and Chowhound.
Over the last twenty years, Red Ventures has built a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships that work together to connect millions of people with expert advice. Through premium content and personalized digital experiences, Red Ventures builds online journeys that make it easier for people to make important decisions about their homes, health, travel, finances, education and entertainment. Founded in 2000, Red Ventures has 3,000 employees in 10 cities across the US, as well as in the UK and Brazil. Red Ventures owns and operates several large digital brands including Healthline, The Points Guy, Bankrate, MYMOVE, and Allconnect.com. For more information, visit https://redventures.com and follow @RedVentures on social platforms.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, 401(k) plan and a paid parental leave program.
Red Ventures is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law. Employment at Red Ventures is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.
Join an iconic portfolio of world-class brands that reach close to 100 million unique visitors monthly, advising passionate consumers about everything they love. Properties under the CNET umbrella include GameSpot, ZDNet, Metacritic, TechRepublic, and more. We’re looking for top-tier journalists and other top talent to join our mission of helping people make life’s most important decisions.Learn More about CNET