Careers / Positions Home Loan Government Underwriter
Our goal is to listen, engage, and activate voices across Red Ventures to ensure that all identity groups and perspectives are represented in our work. Our aspiration is to have diverse teams at every level of the company, and we seek candidates who bring unique personal experiences, curiosity and an eagerness to embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
At a Glance
Home Loan Government Underwriter
What You’ll Do
- Underwrite various types of residential real estate secured loans including FHA and VA loans.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in FHA and VA residential underwriting by providing high-level insight and guidance related to assigned loans.
- Maintain advanced, in-depth working knowledge of FHA, VA loan underwriting requirements, as well as agency (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac) underwriting guidelines.
- Ability to handle complex loans with specific investor guideline overlays, and industry trends related to loan underwriting and home equity lending. Maintain a familiarity with FHA and VA processing requirements.
- Responsible for reviewing, analyzing and auditing complex residential real estate loan transactions for data input accuracy, regulatory compliance, document requirements and compliance with investor guidelines.
- Complete cash flow analysis to determine the borrower’s cash flow and the overall financial condition of the borrower (i.e.; financial statements, credit reports, applicable rations, etc.).
- Utilize manual and automated underwriting to determine appropriate conditions and loan decisions according to investor requirements.
- Review collateral/property appraisals to ensure the documents meet all investor requirements.
- Ensure integrity of all state and federal regulations affecting the underwriting and issuance of mortgage credit to borrowers while providing a final line of defense for loan guideline and regulatory compliance.
- Approve loans up to lending authority, review and sign off secondary market loan denials.
- Escalate loans above authority for appropriate review.
- Provide input into the development and/or revision of department procedures related to processing residential real estate loans.
- Participate in operational initiatives/projects, benchmarks and metrics reviews focused on meeting department objectives.
- Assist entry level Underwriters and processing/closing staff when necessary.
- Must currently have and maintain in good standing, a CHUMS ID number and/or a VA LAPP/SAR designation
What We’re Looking For
- Residential mortgage underwriting of first mortgages sold in the secondary market
- Underwriting Conventional (conforming and jumbo), FHA, VA and/or USDA loans
- Underwriting of all types of loans for sale in the secondary market and for portfolio use
- Processing conventional (conforming and jumbo), FHA, VA and USDA loans
- Evaluating residential mortgage and home equity lending applications
- Resolution of title and other underwriting issues
- Analyzing technical issues and highly complex data to develop sound conclusions
- PC software applications including Word and Excel
- Working with Automated Underwriting Systems
- Working with Encompass Loan Origination System Mortgage and home equity loan/line products, services, pricing, tax and regulatory requirements including FHA and VA regulations and requirements
- Math concepts to support cash flow analysis
- FCRA, ECOA and other federal/state regulations regarding the extension of credit
- Assist with the expansion of the current business plan allowing for the origination and sale of first mortgage loans in the secondary market to multiple investors and the GSEs
- Assist management in building a growing residential lending business
- Display sound negotiation skills and good business judgment when working with applicant(s) and outside lien holders to clear underwriting and title issues
- Underwrite salable residential mortgage and home equity loans/lines
- Adhere to and provide input for real estate loan processing procedures
- Provide direction to and/or assist in the development/training of support/processing staff if/when warranted
- Work effectively with applicants, loan officers, appraisal/title vendors and other interested parties to resolve underwriting issues
- Effectively communicate with Senior Management, internal and external customers, and external clients/vendors, etc.
- Work overtime and/or flexible hours when necessary
- Travel when needed
- Obtain and maintain required certification
Who We Are
Sage Mortgage is a digital mortgage lender solution redefining the mortgage origination experience. By building new technology solutions we're creating simple and clean customer experiences to simplify the mortgage application process. Our team has developed a fully digital online application that enables the user to complete their application and start looking for the right mortgage that matches their needs 24/7. We then marry the digital journey with exceptional human interaction from our expert Loan Officers to create the best possible borrower experience.
Over the last twenty years, Red Ventures has built a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships that work together to connect millions of people with expert advice. Through premium content and personalized digital experiences, Red Ventures builds online journeys that make it easier for people to make important decisions about their homes, health, travel, finances, education and entertainment. Founded in 2000, Red Ventures has 3,000 employees in 10 cities across the US, as well as in the UK and Brazil. Red Ventures owns and operates several large digital brands including Healthline, The Points Guy, Bankrate, MYMOVE, and Allconnect.com.For more information, visit https://redventures.com and follow @RedVentures on social platforms
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, 401(k) plan and a paid parental leave program.
Red Ventures is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other
Red Ventures is a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships. We’re made up of dozens of teams spanning multiple industries and geographies - all working together to help people make life’s most important decisions. Whether you’re looking for freedom to build new brands and businesses from the ground up, an opportunity to partner with brands who are already globally recognized, or a combination of both - this is a place where you can unlock substantial experience and even make entire career shifts, all within one organization.Learn More about Red Ventures