Careers / Positions Senior Book Designer - Lonely Planet
Our goal is to listen, engage, and activate voices across Red Ventures to ensure that all identity groups and perspectives are represented in our work. Our aspiration is to have diverse teams at every level of the company, and we seek candidates who bring unique personal experiences, curiosity and an eagerness to embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
At a Glance
Lonely Planet is looking for a Senior Book Designer to join our Print Publishing team. This role is responsible for overseeing the design of our bestselling Guidebook series as well as collaborating, directing and advising freelance designers on our illustrated children and gift/coffee table book series. A successful candidate will have a passion for beautifully designed books, strong organisational and excellent communication skills. You’ll know how to marry inspirational content with functional information design to bring excitement to the everyday traveler.
This position is remote but must live in the UK and Ireland time zones.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with our print publishing and brand teams to create best-in-class book designs that inspire, guide and excite the everyday traveler and reader.
- Present and share work with cross-functional teams while clearly communicating design rationale and importance to the reader.
- Leverage customer data, audience insights and design best practices into the design process.
- Continually improve our Guidebook series through design discovery, reviewing and approving cover designs, and creating design concepts and layouts that remain relevant and exciting for years to come.
- Collaborate with our Digital Design team to ensure the Lonely Planet brand is cohesive, distinct and inspiring throughout key brand moments.
- Create templates, guidelines and training materials for our in-house and freelance book production teams to ensure consistency of design language and branding.
- Influence creative process and workflow between collaborators and stakeholders
What we’re looking for
- An understanding of complex information design in print, gained from working 3+ years in the magazine, newspaper or illustrated non-fiction industries.
- Solid background in Adobe Creative Cloud and colour print production.
- Ability to use Adobe InDesign style sheets to create consistent templates.
- Ability to analyse and interpret market trends and other external sources to identify design and product opportunities.
- Strong attention to detail and organisational skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, set expectations and work individually and/or collaboratively across teams.
- Comfortable with change and can operate in a fast-paced environment.
- A love for what you do and the ability to have fun and bring a great sense of humor to a team of hardworking and passionate people
- Passion for travel
ABOUT RED VENTURES
Red Ventures is a multi-billion-dollar portfolio of digital companies that specializes in bringing consumers and brands together. Through bespoke technology, integrated digital commerce and sales, distinguished partnerships, data science and original content from the company’s proprietary brands and marketplaces, Red Ventures provides better end-to-end consumer experiences throughout the buying cycle. Headquartered in the Charlotte metro area, Red Ventures has more than 3,600 employees globally in offices across the US, UK and Brazil.
Red Ventures is a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships. We’re made up of dozens of teams spanning multiple industries and geographies - all working together to help people make life’s most important decisions. Whether you’re looking for freedom to build new brands and businesses from the ground up, an opportunity to partner with brands who are already globally recognized, or a combination of both - this is a place where you can unlock substantial experience and even make entire career shifts, all within one organization.Learn More about Red Ventures