Careers / Positions Commissioning Editor, Lonely Planet
Our goal is to listen, engage, and activate voices across Red Ventures to ensure that all identity groups and perspectives are represented in our work. Our aspiration is to have diverse teams at every level of the company, and we seek candidates who bring unique personal experiences, curiosity and an eagerness to embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
At a Glance
Lonely Planet, a Red Ventures company, is looking for Commissioning Editors to join our team in the Dublin office (remote-first working available during COVID-19 restrictions). Lonely Planet is a global travel content company that aims to inspire and enable travellers to get out and connect with the world and have great experiences.
We are looking for a hard-working, motivated self-starter who can meet tight deadlines, prioritise short- and long-term projects, and has the ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines in a challenging and rewarding environment.Candidates should be passionate about travel, publishing, and able to communicate and collaborate with multiple stakeholders across the business internally and externally
This position is remote but must live in the UK and Ireland time zones.
What you’ll do
- be responsible for the commissioning, contracting and briefing of writers
- be responsible for a list of guidebooks, preparing and assessment of titles
- search for and recruit new writers
- leverage customer data, audience insights and best practices into the content creation process
- collaborate with other commissioning editors and product teams to ensure Lonely Planet’s content is cohesive, distinct and inspiring
- ensure editors and product teams received detailed briefing & handovers, including assessment of writer and editor submissions
- support writers on the road and provide technical support
What we’re looking for
- degree or postgraduate qualification in relevant area (i.e. Publishing & Editing preferred)
- strong editing skills, with previous experience in book editing preferred
- solid skills in Excel or Google sheets
- excellent organisational and time management skills; proven ability to work to tight deadlines, multi-task and juggle multiple priorities on a daily basis
- sound project management skills
- excellent attention to detail
- proven ability to work with standard editorial conventions
- strong desktop publishing skills (preferably InDesign)
- proven ability to work with Content Management Systems and maps
- experience with electronic file management
- well-developed communication and negotiation skills
- good general knowledge and a love of travel
- ability to adapt to new technology, processes and change
- Passion for travel
ABOUT RED VENTURES
Red Ventures is a multi-billion-dollar portfolio of digital companies that specializes in bringing consumers and brands together. Through bespoke technology, integrated digital commerce and sales, distinguished partnerships, data science and original content from the company’s proprietary brands and marketplaces, Red Ventures provides better end-to-end consumer experiences throughout the buying cycle. Headquartered in the Charlotte metro area, Red Ventures has more than 3,600 employees globally in offices across the US, UK and Brazil.
Red Ventures is a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships. We’re made up of dozens of teams spanning multiple industries and geographies - all working together to help people make life’s most important decisions. Whether you’re looking for freedom to build new brands and businesses from the ground up, an opportunity to partner with brands who are already globally recognized, or a combination of both - this is a place where you can unlock substantial experience and even make entire career shifts, all within one organization.Learn More about Red Ventures