Careers / Positions Commissioning Editor, Lonely Planet
Our goal is to listen, engage, and activate voices across Red Ventures to ensure that all identity groups and perspectives are represented in our work. Our aspiration is to have diverse teams at every level of the company, and we seek candidates who bring unique personal experiences, curiosity and an eagerness to embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
At a Glance
Lonely Planet, a Red Ventures company, is looking for Commissioning Editors to join our publishing team. Lonely Planet is a global travel content company that aims to inspire and enable travellers to get out and connect with the world and have great experiences.
We are looking for a hard-working, motivated self-starter who can meet tight deadlines, prioritise short- and long-term projects, and has the ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines in a challenging and rewarding environment.Candidates should be passionate about travel, publishing, and able to communicate and collaborate with multiple stakeholders across the business internally and externally
This position is remote but must live in the US or UK and Ireland time zones.
What you’ll do
- be responsible for the commissioning, contracting and briefing of writers
- be responsible for a list of guidebooks, preparing and assessment of titles
- search for and recruit new writers
- leverage customer data, audience insights and best practices into the content creation process
- collaborate with other commissioning editors and product teams to ensure Lonely Planet’s content is cohesive, distinct and inspiring
- ensure editors and product teams received detailed briefing & handovers, including assessment of writer and editor submissions
- support writers on the road and provide technical support
What we’re looking for
- degree or postgraduate qualification in relevant area (i.e. Publishing & Editing preferred)
- strong editing skills, with previous experience in book editing preferred
- solid skills in Excel or Google sheets
- excellent organisational and time management skills; proven ability to work to tight deadlines, multi-task and juggle multiple priorities on a daily basis
- sound project management skills
- excellent attention to detail
- proven ability to work with standard editorial conventions
- strong desktop publishing skills (preferably InDesign)
- proven ability to work with Content Management Systems and maps
- experience with electronic file management
- well-developed communication and negotiation skills
- good general knowledge and a love of travel
- ability to adapt to new technology, processes and change
- Passion for travel
Who We Are
Over the last twenty years, Red Ventures has built a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships that work together to connect millions of people with expert advice. Through premium content and personalized digital experiences, Red Ventures builds online journeys that make it easier for people to make important decisions about their homes, health, travel, finances, education and entertainment. Founded in 2000, Red Ventures has 3,000 employees in 10 cities across the US, as well as in the UK and Brazil. Red Ventures owns and operates several large digital brands including Healthline, The Points Guy, Bankrate, MYMOVE, and Allconnect.com.
For more information, visit https://redventures.com and follow @RedVentures on social platforms.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, 401(k) plan and a paid parental leave program.
Red Ventures is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law. Employment at Red Ventures is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.
Red Ventures is a portfolio of influential brands, digital platforms, and strategic partnerships. We’re made up of dozens of teams spanning multiple industries and geographies - all working together to help people make life’s most important decisions. Whether you’re looking for freedom to build new brands and businesses from the ground up, an opportunity to partner with brands who are already globally recognized, or a combination of both - this is a place where you can unlock substantial experience and even make entire career shifts, all within one organization.Learn More about Red Ventures