Want to do great journalism at one of the most-respected personal finance websites on the planet?
Bankrate.com, a division of Red Ventures, is looking for an experienced, innovative, data-obsessed reporter to cover personal finance and consumer banking for one of the most authoritative publications in the industry, and we need your help to contribute to our growing news team.
Ideal candidates will have experience gathering, extracting, and manipulating data, in addition to helping drive the overall data strategy for an editorial team. Experience with content automation is strongly encouraged.
The reporter must clearly understand and closely follow topics related to mortgages, consumer savings, MMA, and certificate of deposit products. The ideal candidate thinks beyond the news, threading together disparate threads to see larger trends. We are seeking a reporter who is an expert on mortgages and consumer banking, along with a passion for innovative, data-driven storytelling.
- Conceive, develop and execute data driven investigations.
- Collaborate with a team to build and analyze medium to large databases to sniff out patterns and help build a narrative.
- Verify the integrity and accuracy of the data.
- Conceive, launch, and maintain automated news articles that tell compelling stories through data.
- Represent Bankrate as a spokesperson as needed.
- Be deeply engaged on data for our editorial coverage and data as it relates to story performance on Bankrate to make informed decisions about coverage.
- Consistently improve the quality of Bankrate’s editorial coverage.
- Understand metrics of our storytelling and allow them to inform our decisions.
- Come up with ideas and create data-driven content in story form, blogs, quizzes and interactives.
- Understand SEO value and employ best practices for SEO.
- Attend industry conferences to speak about personal finance and data-focused topics.
- Create content for one-off features and special requests.
- Knowledgeable of the consumer banking industry.
- Thorough understanding of personal finance.
- Advanced Excel and SQL skills.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a data reporter.
- Strong knowledge of AP style.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
About Red Ventures:
Red Ventures is a multi-billion-dollar portfolio of digital companies that specializes in bringing consumers and brands together. Through bespoke technology, integrated digital commerce and sales, distinguished partnerships, data science and original content from the company’s proprietary brands and marketplaces, Red Ventures provides better end-to-end consumer experiences throughout the buying cycle. Headquartered in the Charlotte metro area, Red Ventures has more than 3,600 employees globally in offices across the US, UK and Brazil.
Bankrate is a leading publisher, aggregator, and distributor of personal finance content. Bankrate provides consumers with fully researched, comprehensive, independent and objective personal finance editorial content across multiple vertical categories including mortgages, deposits, insurance, credit cards, and other categories, such as retirement, automobile loans, and taxes. For over two decades Bankrate.com has been a leading personal finance destination. Bankrate aggregates rate information from over 4,800 institutions on more than 300 financial products. With coverage for over 600 local markets, Bankrate generates rate tables in all 50 US states. Bankrate develops and provides web services to more than 100 cobranded websites with online partners such as Bloomberg, Comcast, Yahoo! And CNBC.