Red Ventures is looking for a talented Front End Software Engineer to join our Bankrate.com business in Detroit.
We're seeking a thoughtful, results-oriented, and creative individual with a passion for crafting amazing user experiences. You'll work with talented designers, product managers, developers, and customer experience advocates while you create, code, and optimize websites across Bankrate.com. We believe in software craftsmanship and that there is real value in developing software so that it can be easily understood, maintained, and extended. At Red Ventures we are all about teamwork, accountability, innovation, and a customer-first approach. We work hard, but do so in a collaborative, fun, and flexible work environment.
Located in downtown Detroit, Red Ventures has a fresh, fun, and creative environment you won’t find anywhere else. If you have a strong will to learn and are motivated by delighting users through technology, then we'd love to hear from you!
Principal duties and responsibilities:
* Intermediate to advanced HTML, CSS, JS, Git version control
* Can actively produce consistent, quality code in line with our coding standards and style guide
* Adept communicator with technical and non-technical people
* Execute and hit deadlines as well as provide timely feedback if the scope is incorrect
* Collaborate closely with team members on technical and design tasks
* Continuously looks for opportunities for improvement/efficiencies in the codebase they support
* Participate in design reviews, architecture discussions, and code reviews
* Intermediate debugging skills (ex: debug base HTML, CSS, JS issues)
Required technical experience:
* 3-5+ years experience in front-end web development
* Git version control
* Build systems - Gulp (preferred), Webpack (second preference), NPM, etc.
Proficient knowledge and practical implementation of:
* Semantic markup using HTML5
* CSS through the use of pre-processors such as Sass, LESS, etc.
* Can develop fully responsive websites
* Create clean, well organized and structured code in all of the above
* Intermediate debugging and troubleshooting skills
* Experience with build tools (Grunt, Gulp, NPM, Bower, Webpack)
* Experience with version control tools (Git)
* Understanding of further reaching technical concepts (APIs, modular concepts, etc)
* Influential communicator with technical and non-technical individuals
* Share their knowledge and grow fellow developers through documentation, code reviews, mentorship, and training
* Can work autonomously and self-initiated
* Strong attention to detail
Bonus points for:
* ReactJS, VueJS or Angular.js experience
* Ability to architect and develop their own APIs
* Ability to architect and develop build scripts (Gulp and Webpack preferred)
* Ability to develop Progressive Web Apps (PWAs), Electron apps, React Native apps, or mobile native apps
* Ability to somewhat cross the threshold into the backend (those that go more full-stack)
* Practical Implementation of Web Accessibility Standards (compliance with WCAG 2.0 Level AA preferred)
* Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop and Sketch
* Volunteering time educating/mentoring fellow developers
* Building their own side projects showing more advanced skills
* Contributing to an open source project
About Red Ventures:
Red Ventures is a multi-billion-dollar portfolio of digital companies that specialize in bringing consumers and brands together. Through bespoke technology, integrated digital commerce and sales, distinguished partnerships, data science and original content from the company’s proprietary brands and marketplaces, Red Ventures provides better end-to-end consumer experiences throughout the buying cycle. Headquartered in the Charlotte metro area, Red Ventures has more than 3,600 employees globally in offices across the US, UK and Brazil.
Bankrate is a leading publisher, aggregator, and distributor of personal finance content. Bankrate provides consumers with fully researched, comprehensive, independent and objective personal finance editorial content across multiple vertical categories including mortgages, deposits, insurance, credit cards, and other categories, such as retirement, automobile loans, and taxes. For over two decades Bankrate.com has been a leading personal finance destination. Bankrate aggregates rate information from over 4,800 institutions on more than 300 financial products. With coverage for over 600 local markets, Bankrate generates rate tables in all 50 US states. Bankrate develops and provides web services to more than 100 co-branded websites with online partners such as Bloomberg, Comcast, Yahoo! And CNBC.