The Points Guy is the leading website for people looking to travel using points and miles. Our team is collaborative, relaxed and entrepreneurial. We are undertaking major site work so the experience is best in class, like our content.
We’re looking for a passionate Front End Developer with the skills and the drive to build and maintain our digital experience. You’ll work with top talent including writers, analysts, designers and other developers in a fun, fast-paced environment. Each day, you'll create, code and optimize our site and user experiences in a workplace where you can see the impact of your ideas.
Principle duties and responsibilities:
- Execute and hit deadlines as well as provide timely feedback if the scope is incorrect
- Intermediate to advanced HTML, CSS, JS, Git version control
- Can actively produce consistent, quality code in line with our Coding Standards
- Adept communicator with technical and non-technical task creators (tech translator)
- Continuously looks for opportunities for improvement/efficiencies in the codebase they support
- Intermediate debugging skills (ex: debug base HTML, CSS, JS issues)
Required technical experience:
- 3-5+ years experience in front-end web development
- Git version control
- Build systems – Gulp (preferred), Grunt, Webpack (second preference), NPM, Bower
- Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop and Sketch
Proficient knowledge and practical implementation of:
- Semantic markup using HTML5
- CSS through the use of pre-processors such as LESS, SASS, etc.
- Can develop fully responsive websites (using CSS media queries… JS-based solutions not accepted as meeting these criteria)
- Create clean, well organized and structured code in all of the above
- Intermediate debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Experience with build tools (Grunt, Gulp, NPM, Bower, Webpack)
- Experience with version control tools (Git)
- Understanding of further reaching technical concepts (API’s, modular concepts,
- Influential communicator with technical and non-technical individuals
- Share their knowledge and grow fellow developers through documentation, code reviews, mentorship, and training
- Can work autonomously and self-initiated
- Strong attention to detail
Things that will impress us:
- React JS, Vue JS or Angular JS experience
- Ability to architect and develop their own API’s
- Ability to architect and develop build scripts (Gulp and Webpack preferred)
- Ability to develop Progressive Web Apps (PWAs), Electron apps, React Native apps, or mobile native apps
- Ability to somewhat cross the threshold into the backend (those that go more full-stack)
- Practical Implementation of Web Accessibility Standards (compliance with WCAG 2.0 Level AA preferred)
- Building their own side projects showing more advanced skills
- Contributing to an open source project
- Volunteering time educating/mentoring fellow developers
Why work at TPG?
If you’re looking to get in on the ground floor and gain leadership experience while making a meaningful impact at a growing company
If you, like us, value the entrepreneurial spirit, collaborative innovation, and a healthy work-life balance
If you’re excited to have flexible PTO, free lunches, office dogs galore, and tons of unreal travel perks
If you want to feel proud to work for a company that truly cares about corporate responsibility/social good and gives back to the international community through charitable action
About The Points Guy
The Points Guy is the leading site devoted to helping its 7+ monthly million readers around the world maximize their travel and stay up to date on travel news. Founded in 2010 and owned privately held performance marketing company Red Ventures, TPG is growing by leaps and bounds and is seeking new team members to join its existing staff of accomplished writers, editors, videographers, experiential marketers, social experts, analysts, and strategists.
Red Ventures is a multi-billion-dollar portfolio of digital companies that specialize in bringing consumers and brands together. Through bespoke technology, integrated digital commerce and sales, distinguished partnerships, data science and original content from the company’s proprietary brands and marketplaces, Red Ventures provide better end-to-end consumer experiences throughout the buying cycle. Headquartered in the Charlotte metro area, Red Ventures has more than 3,600 employees globally in offices across the US, UK, and Brazil.